Family Planning – Serves all women of childbearing age, targeting teens, those who are high risk of becoming pregnant, and women whose income is at or below 185% poverty level. Physical Exams, laboratory services, contraceptive methods, follow-up services, education, counseling and pregnancy testing are available on a sliding fee scale. Contracted physicians in the District provide sterilizations for for both men and women who meet department guidelines. The Family Planning Program provides confidential services for men, women and adolescents including blood pressure evaluation.
Not sure which birth control method might be best? Bedsider.org has an interactive tool to help.
Other services that may be included during this visit include:
- Pap testing & pelvic exams
- Breast exams
- STI testing & treatment
- Pregnancy testing & counseling, for positive test referral to doctor for care
- Birth control methods
- Emergency contraception
- Sterilization (male & female)
- Immunizations if needed
- Lab tests if needed
- Education and counseling are also provided in areas such as healthy lifestyle choices, self breast\testicular exams, STD\HIV risks, preconception health\Folic Acid, option counseling, and infertility.
–> See below for what to bring with you to your Family Planning, Birth Control or Pregnancy Testing visit:
- Proof of income
- Medical or Insurance card
- A list of all your medications including birth control (not required for pregnancy test)
- Your medical record of your last exam if completed by another provider (not required for pregnancy test)
- *An annual exam is required to prescribe birth control
- If pregnant and wanting WIC, please see WIC program requirements
Referrals & linkages with community resources are available. Family Planning staff will help the patient choose the appropriate method of birth control and teach ways to stay healthy. Staff members will answer any questions and patients will also receive birth control method education and counseling, including Natural Family Planning and abstinence education.