Good nutrition during early childhood decreases the chance of anemia, reduces healthcare costs, and enhances memory development and a child’s ability to learn. Poor nutrition during the first five years of life will affect that person for the rest of their life. WIC (Women, Infants & Children Supplemental Food Program) is a nutrition program that helps pregnant, postpartum and breastfeeding women, infants from birth to age 1, and children to age 5 eat well, stay healthy, and learn about nutrition. Nutrition education and counseling, nutritious foods, and help accessing other health care services during important times of growth and development are provided. E-WIC cards are redeemable at approved groceries and pharmacies throughout the Green River District and the state of Kentucky.
To be eligible for WIC services, clients must be at nutritional risk and have an income that is at or below 185% of poverty, or receive or be Medicaid eligible, or receive food stamps. For more information on WIC, contact the WIC Coordinator or your local health center:
Are you eligible? Click the link below to find out!
–> See below for what to bring with you to your appointment:
*At a WIC Newborn Certification visit the following information is required:
- Newborn child proof of birth (foot prints) & Proof of Hep B vaccination.
- Medical card or the mothers Medical Card. (if no Medical Card, proof of income is required).
- Proof of Kentucky address (drivers license, current utility bill, current pay stub, income tax forms).
- Mom may be eligible for WIC also!
*At a WIC Re-certification visit the following information is required:
- Medical or Insurance card.
- Proof of Kentucky address and identity.
- *Pregnant, post partum, breast feeding women may all qualify!
- Children up to age five (5) can qualify and the child must be present.
- Foster parents must have papers signed per social worker.
*At a WIC Add visit the following information is required:
- Medical Card or proof of income and proof of address and identity.
*At a WIC Follow-up visit the following information is required:
- Bring proof of any changes in address, phone number, medical card status, etc…
This institution is an equal opportunity provider and employer.